A UK Family Travel Blog

2 Sept 2016

UK Family Fun On Tour - Katie Jane Online


I am so excited to start my new blogging series - UK Family Fun on tour. Every fortnight I will be interviewing a wide range of people from all walks of life and finding out about their favourite holiday spots in the UK. If you'd like to take part, please email samantharickelton@googlemail.com.

First up is my good friend Katie Jane Online who is a Durham-based blogger writing about fun, fitness and adventure. Over to Katie:- 

UK Family Fun On Tour - Katie Jane Online
Photo credit - Katie Jane Online

1 - Which UK town or city has your heart? Let us know your top three must see places to visit here

The City that has my heart is Durham. I was born and bred here and no matter where I go Durham will always have my heart. You must see Durham Cathedral and if you get the chance climb to the top and take in the scenery.  

Crook Hall also in Durham City is a manor house which dates back to the 1200's. They always have great seasonal events, my Dad took my sister and I there one Halloween when we were much younger and I still remember how much of a good time we had. The gardens are always picture perfect.  

A walk along the river banks in Durham is a must for any visitor and once you've finished your walk you can visit one of Durham's wonderful cafes for a bite to eat. 

2 - Which UK beach is your favourite? Why do you love it so much?

South Shields beach. When my eldest cousin learnt how to drive we would often go there to play in the arcades and have ice cream. I have a lot of happy Teen memories there.  

UK Family Fun On Tour - Katie Jane Online - South Shields beach


3 - Which theme park/zoo/attraction in the UK would you recommend as somewhere everyone must visit and why?

It has to be Beamish Museum just outside of Durham city. I love history and this open air museum is all about my favourite era, the Victorian age. I remember going there from as young as 5 with my school. Every time I visit I learn something new. The sweet shop is a must visit for any child! 

UK Family Fun On Tour - Katie Jane Online - Beamish


4 - Where was your favourite place in the UK to visit as a child? Share a memory with us

As a child most of our holidays were spent in Europe but I do remember we went up to Scotland and stayed near the Loch Ness. I was around 7 and Emily will have been 5. We must have spent hours looking out for the Loch Ness Monster, Emily caught a sighting but I never did. 

UK Family Fun On Tour - Katie Jane Online - Loch Ness

5 - Do you have any UK breaks planned in the next 12 months?

Yes, I am off to Kielder with my family. We are going exploring for a few days and then I am running a half marathon, so I'll get to see all the sights from a runners point of view too. 

6 - Where is on your UK travel bucket list?

Cornwall. I have wanted to visit Cornwall for so long now. Hopefully soon I will be able to make the trip and there will be some nice weather. I have images of me and some friends on the beach having a BBQ in the Golden hour. 

7 - Share with us a hidden gem in the UK and let us know why it’s so special

To me the North East is a hidden gem itself. If you want culture we've got Durham. If you want stylish bars, great restaurant and art galleries we've got Newcastle. If you want Countryside and artistic scenery we've got the Northumberland coast line. London is 4 hours away by train and Scotland is 2 hours away in the car. There is nothing not special about the North East and I'm sure people will agree there is lots of hidden gems here. 

8 - Can you recommend a UK holiday resort, hotel or accommodation for families and let us know why it stands out for you

Sadly I can not as I don't have any children but what I can recommend you is a hotel for adults wanting a little rest and relaxation. Rockliffe hall in Darlington is my favourite hide out. I've stayed a few times now and it is set in the most beautiful grounds and has an amazing spa. The perfect hotel for a luxurious break. 

Thanks Katie! I really need to book myself into Rockliffe hall soon! 




Share:

3 comments

  1. I have heard a lot about Cornwall. Would love to visit too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of the cold up North but Katie definitely sells it with her Passion!
    I also want to visit Cornwall and pray for sunshine as I've heard they have some of the best beaches in the UK!

    Emmie xo
    www.unsignedmeblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah we just visited Durham this week and I have fallen in love with it. We went to Crook Hall for a Peter Pan event and it was just so magical! Then we walked to Durham Cathedral. Its really beautiful, I cant put into words how it made me feel, its just a special place and you have to see and feel the atmosphere to appreciate it fully.xxx

    ReplyDelete

© UK Family Fun | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig